What that means to you...
This affects ALL businesses in every city, county, and jurisdiction in California...
"The fines are coming, and the fines are mandatory!"
(a) Property owners and business owners shall provide or arrange for organic waste collection services consistent with this article and local requirements, for employees, contractors, tenants, and customers, including supplying and allowing access to adequate number, size, and location of containers with sufficient labels and container color.
(b) Property and business owners shall annually provide [educational] information to employees, contractors, tenants, and customers about organic waste recovery requirements and about proper sorting of organic waste.
(c) Property and business owners shall provide or arrange for access to their properties during all inspections conducted pursuant to Article 14 of this chapter (commencing with Section 18995).
Translation for those of us who are not bureaucrats:
- You are responsible for training all your employees, customers and contractors on how to properly dispose of waste
- This training must be done at minimum every year and must be documented
- Everywhere there is a trash can in your business, there must be a compost bin and recycle bin
- All bins must be properly marked and/or proper color
- When (not if) inspectors show up at your facility, you are required to let them in
Note: Each of these infractions carry costly fines
The BEC has created tools to help our member businesses meet or exceed the requirements of this SLCP (SB-1383) legislation and as much as possible, with a goal to mitigate or avoid the mandatory fines associated with violation of the regulations.
More on these services here